This is the primary location for the MHS National Honor Society. Please be sure to join the REMIND (@mandarinnh) and add this Google Calendar to your phone for updates!
Please VOTE for your Favorite T-Shirt Design for this year!
If you have not completed the UPDATED NHS ONLINE REGISTRATION, please do so here:
Meet your Officers this year:
Want to get something done? Have a question or missed a meeting? See or e-mail one of your NHS Officers for more information!
Hi! My name is Sarah Gilbert, and I am the President of Mandarin High School’s chapter of National Honor Society. I am also an AICE student at Mandarin. I am one of the Drum Majors for the Mandarin High School Marching Band. During concert season I play the clarinet. I enjoy coaching soccer and basketball at Mandarin United Methodist Church as well as being an active member of our youth group. I am talkative and loud. This leads me to enjoy spending time with others and collaborating on ideas. I’m so excited to be your National Honor Society President for the 2017-18 school year!
Email Contact: email@example.com
Hello! My name is Brendan Ledesma and I am the Vice President for the Mandarin High School NHS. I’m in Dual Enrollment and AP classes. Outside of school I volunteer at the American Red Cross Volunteer Lifesaving Corps down at Jacksonville Beach as a lifeguard. I have earned over 500 volunteer hours there. I recently just got elected to a staff position as Registrar at the Volunteer Life Saving Corps. I look forward to being the Vice President of the National Honor Society as Mandarin High School!
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi! My name is Jillian Beauchamp and I am very proud to be a Mandarin Mustang. I am apart of the AICE program, as well as the cheer leading team, lacrosse team, and weightlifting team at Mandarin. I volunteer as a preschool teacher at Christ Church on Sundays, and i am also the secretary for Mandarin High School’s chapter of Best Buddies. I am so excited to be your National Honor Society Secretary for the 2017-2018 school year!
Email Contact: email@example.com
Hello, I’m Junho Kim, your National Honor Society Historian. I’m an AICE Student at this school. I’m on Boys Cross Country team because I enjoy running. My hobbies are painting and photography. I love visiting other countries and my dream is to visit over one hundred different ones. I’m very open and social because I like talking and working with people. My favorite subject in school is history, European and US. Being Historian is the best fit for me and I hope you think the same for this 2017-18 school year!
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello my name is Diana Brunner and for the 2017-2018 school year I will be your National Honor Society Chaplin. At Mandarin I am also Student Council President, a Relay For Life Student Ambassador, and in the Student Leadership Program. I am also involved with Senior Women, Senior Sisters, Best Buddies, and the AICE Program. After school I enjoy going to my Church Youth Group and attending Mandarin sporting events. I cannot wait for the upcoming school year and to see what NHS has in store for all of us.
Email Contact: email@example.com
Current Meeting Minutes:
NHS Meeting Agenda 11/6/2017
- Chipotle Fundraiser
- Tutoring Hour for bringing receipt with name on it to Mrs. Reed
- Place in specific bin in her room, DO NOT COME IN SEVENTH PERIOD
- Light bulb won
- Confirm sizes today, orders will be placed November 7,2017
- Fundraiser Nights
- Looking to schedule more spirit nights
- So far, Jillian will be contacting Newks and Brendan will be contacting Zaxbys for possible dates
- Thanksgiving Baskets
- We will be doing three baskets total
- Two for families within NHS who are in need, and one low sodium basket for Mr. Hicken
- We need people to bring in baskets (Laundry basket)
- We will use a sign up genius for donations, and items will be assigned by last name
- Donations will be turning in to Mrs. Schrimsher’s room
- March of Dimes
- Instead of buying $20 shamrocks, we will be helping with love bundles
- These are gift bags for parents with babies in the NICU
- Items include baby toys, hand lotion, lip balm, stuffed animals, etc.
- We will include donations on Thanksgiving Basket Sign up genius
- This Drive will end by December 2, 2017
- Induction Ceremony Volunteers
- January 6,2018
- Time TBD most likely around 6 pm
- Will receive two tutoring hours for second semester if you Volunteer
- Tutoring Hour Due Dates
- Due December 15, 2017
- We Rock the Spectrum has opportunities daily
- Service Logs
- Must complete 100 hours to graduate with NHS
- Hours are due by April 15, 2018 to Mrs. Bizier in Guidance
- DO NOT TURN IN ORIGINAL
- Service Council
- Please determine dates for your service project with in the spring of 2018
- Officer Meeting Notes 9/22: National Honor Society Officer Meeting
- Meeting 1 Notes: NHS Agenda Meeting 1 Notes and details
- Meeting 2 Notes: NHS Agenda Meeting 2 Notes and details
- Officer Meeting Notes 11/3: NHS Officer Meeting Agenda Nov 3
- Meeting 3 Notes (currently Agenda Above)
Tutoring Log: Tutoring Log 2017-18
Service Council Sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/805094bada72aa20-business
Who: Volunteers Needed for Jacksonville Outstanding Young Professional Awards, A Banquet to Honor Inspiring Local Young Professionals
What: The volunteers are needed to help set up for the banquet, bus tables, and light clean- up
Where: Salem Centre, 7235 Bonneval Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32256
When: Thursday January 18th, from 5 pm to 10 pm
Why: Hours toward the community service/ volunteer requirement for graduation and a chance to hear inspiring younger people speak, including keynote speaker SSG Earl Granville
How: contact Julienne Rolfe, Jacksonville Junior Chamber Chief of Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 904-631-1684
Please see link for additional details, to attend the event as a guest, and/or sponsorship opportunities
- Rock the Spectrum Kids Gym Information
My name is Marissa Chunn, co-owner of We Rock the Spectrum-Kids Gym and Behavior Analyst for Children on the Autism Spectrum. I am contacting you today in regards to some volunteer opportunities to your students in the NHS or other programs in your school!
We Rock the Spectrum Kids Gym is an indoor sensory facility specializing in equipment for ALL kids, although the environment is set up to be geared towards children with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, or ADHD. We have a variety of therapy swings available daily on our swing apparatus, a zip line, trampoline, and other fun equipment for the kids to have free access to when visiting the gym. Through our non-profit charity, My Brother Rocks the Spectrum, we are able to recruit young adults to volunteer and gain hands on experience working with children with special needs in the Jacksonville community.
Volunteers in our facility would be working with the children on the equipment, assisting them with taking turns, safely using the equipment, common household cleaning throughout the gym, and coordinating/assisting with summer camps and birthday parties. We would ask that volunteers be available in the evenings and weekends, as well as have an upbeat, positive attitude and LOVE working with kids! Supervision & Guidance would be provided by myself or co-owner, Lea Wells, who both obtained our Masters Degrees at UNF in Special Education and have been working in the Autism field for over 4 years.
If you would like any more information regarding the gym, non-profit charity, or any other questions I would love to speak with you! I can provide any materials needed to provide your students interested. I have attached our volunteer applications for those interested!
Thank you, and look forward to speaking with you soon!
Volunteer Application: We Rock the Spectrum Volunteer Application
2. Greenland Pines Fall Festival:
Happy Fall, Ya’ll! Greenland Pines 2017 Fall Festival will be held on Saturday, November 18 from 2-5pm. We are in need of volunteers to help run each game. Please join us!
3. The South Mandarin Library needs volunteers
…this is a great way to get in service hours. Call or Inquire at (904) 288-6385; 12125 San Jose Blvd 32223
FYI-NHS Requirements for Acceptance:
- Be on the Candidate’s List the will be published at the end of September 2017. To make this list a student must have a weighted 3.5 GPA. There is no exception to this rule.
- Complete a Portfolio that consists of the following-
- Quarter 1 Report Card (Oct. 2016)
- At least 25 volunteer hours documented with appropriate signatures on their service logs (you may only turn in a copy-DO NOT TURN IN THE ORIGINAL!)
- Receive Assistant Principal’s Approval-their decision is based on the candidate’s discipline and attendance record.
- Show strengths in scholarship, leadership, character, and service.
The NHS Faculty Committee determines acceptance or denial in the organization. A weighted GPA of 3.5 does not guarantee automatic entrance into Mandarin High School’s National Honor Society.
Your Sponsors for this Year:
Mrs. Victoria Schrimsher has been the National Honors Society Sponsor for many years, doing a fantastic job to coordinate Volunteer Hours, planning the Top 10 Luncheon, organizing multiple service projects for our community, and directing the Marshals for Mandarin High Graduations. She is the AICE European History teacher as well as developing student’s understanding and appreciation of World Religions. She is a 2017 Nominee for Teacher of the year!
Email Contact: email@example.com
Mrs. Robin Reed is excited to be assisting Mrs. Schrimsher this year with the National Honor Society additionally, she is the sponsor for Sr. Women & the Sr. Sisters Program! She is the AICE General Paper teacher as well as teaching AP Lang and English 3 Honors. She helped to co-ordinate the Marshals at graduation last year and will be assisting with all tech and records for our organization. Besides being a proud Mustang Mrs. Reed loves to travel with her huisband and two children, listening to audiobooks as they drive cross country! 🙂
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Reed & Mrs. Schrimsher